Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Lights, Please Come Back On

I have been in Ghana for one week and two days. I have already had the opportunity to experience three power outages. Oh what a joy!

The first occurred my very first night here when Emanuel, my host brother, was showing me around town. It was only about 7:30 pm, but already dark. It gets dark early here. We were just walking down the roadside when everything went black. Somehow we could still see though. I can’t really remember if only a section of town went out or if we could just see from the moon and car lights. Luckily, it only lasted about 10 minutes.

The second happened in the middle of the night. I woke up because my ceiling fan, which makes a slight humming noise in addition to being my only source of cool air, went off. I was slightly confused. At first I thought someone came into my room and turned it off…but no one was in there. I tried to switch on the light and when it didn’t come on I realized what happened. So what could I do? Nothing. Except for crawl back into my hot bed and fall back asleep.

The third happened last night. Again, my ceiling fan went off and woke me up. I realized what it was right away this time and just turned over and fell back asleep. Back in my room this afternoon the power is still out. The first couple times it returned pretty quick.

I have no idea what is causing the power outages. There are no storms. Whatever it is, I hope they get it fixed soon. My room is like a sauna! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...