Friday, February 18, 2011

Waiting for Superman


I don’t normally suggest movies to people. In fact, I’ve never suggested a movie once on my blog.
I am suggesting one now.

"Waiting for Superman"

This movie should be seen by every single American citizen.
Don’t take the comment lightly, because I am not making it lightly.

Education in American is suffering. 
It’s a fact. 
But more than education as a whole…children are suffering. 
This is a quote from the movie:

“I want my kids to have a better life than me.”

The speaker was sweet Anthony, no more than 10 or 11 years old. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I never thought about my children when I was 10. I was never stressed about receiving a bad education, simply because I lived in the wrong place. I never even thought twice about my education. I simply went to school, came home, did my homework, knew someday I'd go to college and then get a career. Not every child in American has that opportunity.

Last summer I went to Africa as a volunteer. I will never take that experience back.
But before I left, I had no idea that my help was needed here in America just as well as in Africa.
This film is eye opening. I will say what I said before again.

Every American citizen needs to see this film.

I did not know a lot about this movie before I saw it, so I won’t tell you much. But I will tell you this-the public schools are not the problem. The system is the problem. The teachers are the problem. And, in my eyes, that problem still exists because of unions. Plain and simple. And the reason the teacher’s union is still there, even though it is failing children, is because it is the biggest contributor to political parties.

Keep that in mind.
Now that I’ve confused you with my rambling,
go watch the film and find out what I am talking about.
Become educated about education.
Because the education of America is what will determine America's future.
And maybe once the awareness is up, we can work together to find a solution.

“One of the saddest days of my life was when my mother told me ‘Superman’ did not exist…she thought I was crying because it’s like Santa Claus is not real. 
I was crying because no one was coming with enough power to save us.”


You can watch the trailer here
Or watch a short clip of why it is so very important here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...